Friday 2 August 2013

A TRIBUTE TO NATIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER, THE LATE MR. SIVA


A TRIBUTE TO THE LATE MR SIVAPATHASUNDRAM                                      25 Jul 2013
By Tajul Ariffin Kamat (ex TBS 69)

It is a tradition, that, at the end of every year, the Teachers will play a game with the Students. In the year 1969, hockey was chosen to be the game between the Teachers and the Students. The School Team that year was quite strong as we made it to the semi-finals of the NS Inter school Hockey  Competition losing to SPI.  The Teachers team was also strong with the skillful players such as Mr Sunderaj, Mr Paul Nathan, Mr Edwin Ng, Mr Choy and not to mention the late Mr Sivapathasundram (popularly known as Mr Siva).

Three days before the game, I was approached by my friends, who wanted me to do a favour. To my surprise, I was asked to hurt late Mr Siva during the game. I did not commit anything and just smiled away. There had a misunderstanding and was unhappy with the way certain problems were tackled  and handled by him.



 Tajul Ariffin Kamat

On the day of the game, my friends again reminded me but I just smile as I did not to make any commitment. I have always respected and liked the late Mr Siva. The game started at 4pm with almost every TBS  students were asked to watch the game. It was a tough and good game and the half time score was 1-1. During the break, I looked around and saw the whole school population watching the game. There again I saw my friends looking at me, waving to signal for action. I pretended  not to see them.

During the second half, the game was very much well balanced.  Half way through the game, I received a very fast pass from our player and I saw him( late Mr Siva)behind me. In a second, I flicked the ball behind and hit him right on the cheek. Immediately, he shouted my name and fell to the ground in pain. The referee stopped the game and I ran to him. The whole school was very quiet.  I carried him out and apologized a few times. I really felt sorry for him. The match continued and the students lost 2-3.

Twenty six  Years Later, I was posted by my Company to start our Office in Chiangmai, Thailand in Apr 1995 December  that year, Chiangmai hosted the SEA Games. Two days before the closing ceremony, most of the athletes were leaving Chiangmai and Malaysia Airlines had a charter flight to carry them home. Whilst I was busy at the Airport, I recognised someone familiar in the crowd. Yes it was the late Mr Siva and he was the Team Manager for the Malaysian Hockey team. I went to him and gave him my card. “Hello Mr.Siva” was my first words.

He was shocked and was trying to remember me. I asked for his green boarding card
and found my way to give a RED one. I chatted with him at the Departure Hall and before
boarding, he told me, “ you were the one” who flicked the ball to his face during one the
Students/Teachers games. Wow he remembered!! Again I apologised and he said
“its all in the game”. Then again, I felt guilty…. We parted with a smile and hope to meet again..
Last year, I heard he passed away.. Rest in Peace Mr Siva.. I will always remember you..

No comments:

Post a Comment