Sunday 28 October 2012

MY COACH TOUR OF THE SOUTHERN COUNTRIES OF EUROPE


Notre Dame in Paris

I was very lucky indeed to have the invaluable opportunity of touring the southern part of Europe. All this luck was attributed to my late brother, Abu Hanifah Bachik, who through his meagre savings provided me with the cash needed for the trip. He was then only a private in the Royal Malay Regiment's First Battalion stationed at Kuching Camp, in Sarawak.  May Allah bless his soul, this very thrifty brother of mine.

I was then in College pursuing my teacher training course, at Brinsford Lodge, Wolverhampton England. When in college I was only given a monthly allowance of £7. It was only equivalent to about RM 70.00 then. Luckily that £7 is only for pocket money. Meals were provided for at the college. Although meals were provided, the £7 is barely enough to see me through. So i had no savings whatsoever. Had it not been for this wonderful brother of mine, I would not have the chance even to cross That English Channel, let alone a continental tour. Such was one's luck!!!

On the day of the tour, thanks to the organiser Encik Zahoor Hussein of D House, we left college for Dover, the port where we had to board a ferry to take us to Oostend,    Belgium. in the ferry I had a nightmare of an experience. i was in light clothing. Thinking that it was summer. I was in my shorts complete with long stockings and the Brinsford Scarf around my neck. At first I was very comfortable. But slowly and surely, the winds of the English Channel became colder and colder. Oh god I had the time of my life. i was shivering all over. Luckily I had the Brinsford Scarf to barely wrap my body. At last, was I happy, we were in Oostende at  last. The cold spell ordeal was over. We were soon in the warm belly of the continental coach that would take us around to the Southern Part of the Continent for the month duration. The countries we toured included: Luxembourg, just a passing through, France, Spain, the Riviera, Italy. Austria, Switzerland and back to Belgium. 

I had a very wonderful experience of a lifetime on one side. On the other I had a pilgrimage of an experience. The Wonder because i was able to see beautiful scenery as well as places which I had never seen before in my life. The Pilgrimage, for why not, there was no luxury hotels or inns that I spent my time at the city stops of the tour. Neither did I ever have any sumptuous meals during the one month of the tour. My most wonderful sleep  was spent in a double Decker bed in youth hostels, which at certain cities were in  dungeons. The meals was simply bread and butter provided by the youth hostels for breakfast. For other meals I for one, had to suffice on just dried bread left overs with just plain water, or sometimes I had to for go these meals.  Such was the condition i was in during the Continental Tour. I only brought with me just a few pounds to see me through the trip. Where have I got money to spend like a lord. 

When in Belgium, I had the chance to see The Atomium, the atom structure erected by Architects at the World Trade Site when the world trade show was held in Belgium. I walked it up alone from the youth hostel to the Atomium. It was in  Brussels that  I first saw the viaduct erected in existing roads, this phenomenon is very common sight in KL and around now. It was forty nine years ago that I first saw it in Belgium. Such was the advance of the road technology in Europe. 
The buildings around the city square in Brussels was fantastic and truly awesome. They are so beautifully structured, that they were very pleasing to perceive. It was in Brussels too that I first saw a very huge and beautiful flower clock.

From Brussels we travelled to Luxembourg. We were only passing through. We were on our way to Paris the city of love do they say. I was awe stricken when I first saw The Eiffel Tower. Ya Allah the surrounding scenery of the Eiffel Tower was so beautiful for the eyes to see. Wonderful, wonderful, that is the only word that befits the description. Only those who have been there will get what I mean.

In Paris I visited many places which included: the Nerte Dam Cathedral, the Artist paradise along the River Seine, the Arc De Triumph, the Paris Mosque, the Louvre Museum, where I saw The World Famous Monalisa, forever giving her cynical smile and last but not least I visited the Pigalle, where is stationed the world's paradise. All these places I visited on foot. Such was the tour of Paris. Its a pity that at all these places, I took photographs, but they were in slides. Unfortunately, these slides were fungi destroyed, thus destroying all my records of the tour. Too bad.

From Paris we moved down south to Barcelona, Spain, the City of Bullfights. Along the way, what captivated my sight was the vast estates of vineyard, which forms the Euro earner of the French.
For miles I could see nothing but vineyards. The wine plants are somewhat like our tea shrubs of Cameron Highlands. It is of waist heights,and dangling from it you see the grape fruits in clusters. Such a marvel sight to behold.

After travelling for some hours, we reached, Barcelona, the bull fight city. From afar we could see the Bull Ring Arena, a huge circular structure, which unfortunate I did not have the chance to enter, as it cost quite a Spanish Lire to enter. instead in Barcelona, as usual, I toured the tourist spots on foot. Once i went to the city slump and I was approached by a swarm of children begging for alms. I was terrified and terror stricken. I ran for my life fearing that I would be torn apart by swarm of kids.

At one supermarket, I saw my first escalator and had the chance of a life time then to experience being escalated by it. In Barcelona too I had the chance to see The Flamingo Dance at The Tourist Centre. The dance was very graceful, especially with the pulsating of the bosoms of the dancer, when she danced to the clacking of the Flamingo in her hands. Oh the sight  was simply superb and fantastic.

From Barcelona we moved along the Mediterranean Coast to The City of Rome, a City of ruins, the world famous St. Peters Basilica, the ruins of The Coliseum, the myriad statues, and the world famous Spanish Steps as well as the renown Three Coins in The Fountain where it is fabled that you would get what you wished for if you throw three coins into the fountain, facing your back against it when throwing. Its here too many of our lovely dames were pinched by the Italians, who simply preyed for their victims, when they were crowding to throw the coins. Along the way we stopped at the French Riviera the world renown beach, which I witnessed nothing compared to our famous PD beach which is smooth and sandy, where as the Riviera was pebbly and rough.


The Eiffel Tower

After the short stop at the French Beach Resort, where we saw some voluptuous sights of the womenfolks, basking and toying in the hot sun and cool breeze of the Mediterranean, we travelled on to Rome. And after a certain  number of hours, and after a short stop at the city of Florence, we reached The City of Rome. The very first sight that caught my eyes was the Coliseum with all its grandeur and splendour that shows the engineering feats of the Romans. After a short rest at the youth hostel, I went on my foot tour as usual. 

First I had a good close peek at the Coliseum. The sight was awesome. I was telling myself how the Romans without modern tractors and boulder lifters, could lift huge slabs of stone to erect the wall, which was very high. Despite the huge slabs that made up the wall, time had destroyed the Coliseum, leaving behind the eroded structures, for the later generations to marvel at the grandeur and feats of achievements of the people that were the Romans,

St. Peter's Basilica

Another awe stricken structure, this time its not in ruins, is the St. Peters Basilica which is situated in The Papal City or Papal State. It is a gigantic building that is still as strong as ever even to this day. The building is so colossal that I thought is the largest prayer place of the Christian. While there I visited the Papal Tombs. This place is very eerie and it smells of rusticity. I did  not enjoy visiting this place. It reminded me of Dracula. 

At The Three Coins in The Fountain, one could see many people, especially girls who would like to try their lucky stars by back throwing three coins into the fountain simultaneously wishing for what ever dreams they want. Its here too, that their buttocks were mostly pinched by  Italians rouges, who were looking for the slightest opportunity to have the cheapest thrill possible. They are great these Italian youths. The funny thing is that these damsels are never beaten by the urge to be at the Fountain. They are never sorry to be there again. They never  regretted to be there again. Probably they derived extreme pleasure from the pinching of their bottoms by the young Italian rouges.



From Rome we moved south to the ruined city of Pompeii. It is  said to be a city of sodomy. It was devastated by the Vesuvius Volcano. We stopped at Pompeii on our way south to the Ilse of Capri. There is a famous song by this name and Capri is said to an Ilse of Love. For those with the Italian Lire, they boarded a vessel at Naples to go to the Island of Capri. For those who had not the money, stayed put in the coach until those who went to the Island of Love came back. When they returned to the coach, we moved back to Rome and spent the night at the hostel. Very early the next morning, after breakfast, we left for The water City of Venice. 

In Venice I did not visit a lot of places, for its all water. i could not use my feet much. To move anywhere you have to go by gondola, the the water transport, and this means money. I visited only  The St. Marco Square, and one glass blowing factory. Here you can see how molten silica was blown into shapes of various sizes and colour. Apart from enjoying the beauty of the city which is surrounded by water whose channels are spanned by arched bridges, there was nothing much I could do. I could not have my usual foot tour. 

We then moved up north, after Venice, to The City of Vienna, which is the capital of Austria. On the way to Vienna which was by the Danube River, we stopped at Interleukin. Interleukin is a very beautiful town which is situated in between two lakes. The scenery here is very breath taking  and very intriguing. The scenery is simply superb and beautiful. After some hours of travelling we reached Vienna. It is a very beautiful city where we can see the waters of the Danube flowing peacefully. Its a very calm river. The song The blue Danube is inspired by this great river.

It is in Vienna too that I first experience sitting for a snack in a restaurant beneath a road crossing. Such was the technology of the Austrians who built a restaurant under four road crossing each other. We had a short stop only in Vienna, after which we travelled to the  birthplace of the renown classic musician Mozart, that wrote the song, The Blue Danube. This is a very melodious song about the grandeur of the Danube. Mozart was born in the city of Salzburg.


We left Salzburg and travelled to Bern, in Switzerland. It was in Bern that we were ushered into a dungeon. The youth hostel in Bern is in a dungeon. The scenery along the way to burn was simply superb. Here we could see the Greatness of Allah manifested in the beauty of the Swiss Alps. The sight was awesomely wonderful, with the glare of the snow capped mountains of the Alps, blinding your eyes. It was so beautiful. It was in the City of Bern too, that I exchanged my last ten  dollar note for some Swiss Franks. The exchange then was at par. So with the ten Swiss Francs that i had, I bought myself a decent meal. The ten dollar note was the souvenirs note that was given to me by my sweet heart, Nora, before departure one and a half years ago.

The next day after breakfast in Bern, we left back for college. We reached Oostend, in Belgium  almost in the late afternoon. After ferrying across the English Channel, we reached Dover, where we boarded the waiting coach that took us back to college. Ho, am I glad to be back in the comfort of the my bed in college, where I was assured of wonderful meals. Gone were the dried bread and plain water meals of one month for me. 

One thing that I must record, for all the beautiful places and scenery that my eye devour during the tour, they were nothing compared to splendour of my pilgrimage to The Holy City of Mecca and Prophet Mohammad's  s.a.w. City of Medina. Nothing will substitute these two Holy Cities. For in these two Holy Cities, one will feel very, very secure as you are Allah's guest, while you are here. You feel so close to Allah and you feel you are just a speck of dust as compare to the greatness and grandeur of Allah. SUBHANALLAH, WALHAMDULILAH, WALLAHHUAKBAR.  For anyone who wish to experience this, perform the pilgrimage to Mecca. Do experience it.         

aab 0858 291012, last day of Aidil Adha.

14 comments:

  1. AAB, I just can't understand with the attitude of our brother and sister members of Alumni TBSST. U have written a lot of articles on your own hardships, sacrifices and mind-boggling episodes, but nobody seems to response or say anything about them. Some of them are active in FB, but not in our Blog. Sometimes I wonder when someone said our members were hangat-hangat tahi ayam some of us argued otherwise. And yet u just imagine with all kinds of stories retold in tis Blog nobody is willing to even give response let alone read them. Where were those members who talked and suggested that we must write our memoirs and yet these are the people who shun our Blog. I just don't understand. Cammonlah, walk the talk. Do not promise if you people can't deliver.I don't want to pin-point anyone but we as members should know better. It's a shame to have such a nice Blog but we seem to leave it nderutilized. Inilah oghang kito cakap tak seghupo bikin. I think some of us do not even know our blog does exist. What a sham! If this is the case I quite agree with The President that we just close this web and continue with FB. In fact opinion poll conducted on the previous blog Alumni TBSST suggested that we close anything that has to do with blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, cakap yo buek apo. Awak sendiri tak tulih pun. Komen yo lah yang awak buleh eh. Marlah tulih sesamo. aab

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you, Anonymous should have contributed something so that the rest can follow suit. You just talk and you will be one of the same kind, i.e, you do not walk the talk. Anyway again you have not revealed your ID who you really are. But it dose not matter as long as you contribute to show that you are concerned as we are. So send your entry and you can use any pseudonym you like. How about sending your article by tomorrow or the next day or never at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kich Moor, ur also equally to be regretted. Shall we have your episode soonest possible,dear? Lets not just talk k. Lets have some action, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kich Moor, hopefully u and the others would not be bore by onlu AAB' s posts. The President has stopped posting. Alot of calls have been made for others contribution. But to date, it has come to nought. Nobody is botheredmto contribute. Everybody is busy with their more important chores and responsibilities. Well, its only the oku that has the times. So he writes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rindu jugak nak maco posting oghang lain. Tompi tak do sapopun yang sudi nak nulih he. Kesian tampang. Lekbalek oghang yang samo yo nulih kan AFY? Buek gulai lomak cili padi yo lah kan. Dapek yo makan mo nasi. Tampang, tampang!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nak buat lagu mano, AAB dan AFY. Nampak eh u duo oghang jolah yang nulih dan buek posting. Yang lain tu habuk pon tarak. Hattar nulih sokali, Nasa sokali, Zahriman beberapa kali lopeh itu langsung sonyap. Alasan takkan dio sajo yang nulih, oghang lain mistilah nulih gak. Akhirnya soghang pun tak tulih. Tingallah u boduo tokonteng-konteng.

    Tak apolah AAB dan AFY, u all bueklah apo yang patut. Tak usah kiroan kalau oghang lain nak nulih ko tak nak. Memang dalam dunio ini ado duo jonih manusia. Yang suko dan yang tak suko. Dalam hal ini suko nulih u duo oghang yo, yang tak suko mongomut ramai eh. Biarkanlah.

    Yang penting sapo sudi tulihlah. Kalau nanti tak ado laie yang nak nulih, biarkanlah blog ini macam ni jo botahun-tahun. Dio akan totap ada solagi tak di delete. Yolah, masing-masing ado halkan. Dulu bilo blog ini free for all ado yang maghah sobab menjatuhkan air muko oghang, sekarang bilo ada sokatan dan dimoderate, verify dan approve, tak ado pulak yang komen, kalau ado pun dah disaring.

    Jadi camno AAB dan AFY. Ado satu caro yang boleh u boduo buek untuk teruskan. Tulihlah mavam-macam pokaro, jangan satu bidang jo. Kalau boleh somuo bidang, pendidikan, sejarah, politik, ekonomi dan kemasyarakatan yang lain. Apo sahajo. I beleive there will be readers the world over. Tak banyak sikit. Tapi adolah. Pedulikanlah member yang lain, dio oghang nak concentrate pado FB silakan, nak surf blog silokan. Nak letak minat pada produk untuk promo barangan sondiri silokan. Kalau ada teks yang datang postingkan sajolah. Kalau tak ado biarkanlah macam ini jo. Habis coghito. Dan tak ado sapo yang kato blog ini ngabihan bogheh yo. Bilo ado oghang kata hidup sogan mati tak mahu blog ini, ado yang molonting. Nak buek camno!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAB dan AFY, Den ghasolah you boduo ini kono banyak soba. Memang susah nak tarik oghang menulis, dan den salah soghang daripadanya. Memang den tak pandai nulih, tapi kalau bocoghamah politik, tahulah den. Dan you duo oghang tak boleh paksoan oghang monulih. Memang boto oghang itu tak tahu nak nulih, sokadar komen bolehlah. Dan somuo oghang suko buek komen. Tak apolah, Biakanlah, asal tak monyinggung oghang lain. Den sotuju bona blog Tampang ini ado dimoderate, diverify dan diapprove sobolum diposting komen. Elok gitu.

    Tapi janganlah u duo oghang hibo bona bilo oghang tak nulih dan bagi komen. Itu dah lumrah hidup. Den pocayo ghamai yang suko maco daripada nulih. Dan kalau den tengok blog-blog yang lain yang ado dalam alam siber ini somuo eh ditulis oleh satu oghang blogger sajo. Komen banyak, sobab teks yang blogger posting itu monarik. Misalnya oghang ghamai suko baco politik, jadi dio oghang tulis tontan politik, dan bilo dibaco oleh oghang ghamai bukan main banyak lagi komen, yang sokong dan yang bangkang. Dan tak apolah kalau u duo oghang jo yang nulih, tapi tulihlah yang monarik sikit, janganlah asyik dongan coghito peribadi jo. Susah oghang nak ikuti. Elakkan coghito peribadi dan den yakin mesti ghamai yang akan baco nanti. Cubolah...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would not agree more with what Hashim Mustafa has been saying all along. Reading through many blogs, whether they are politically based or personally based, bloggers have one thing in common. They have themselves as writers and they do not depend on other people to write for them. As Tampang ia not supposed to be the group's blog, so it is quite appropriate that both of u, AAB and AFY are the sole writers to post in your texts and pix.

    Nobody would mind if the text is presentable, I mean, if it is interesting piece of work and people want to read it. I for one will surely read the text. I promise to write a short narrative of my first stint as a mill supervisor in JB once before and my association with fellow workers. I shall not personalize the story and neither will I sensationalize it. The theme would be more on the making of yarn from the raw material, cotton. It could be interesting judging by the nature of the working processes. But I can't promise you anything as yet since I'm not in town and will only be back early next year. So, AAB and AFY, forget the non-starters and concentrate on your efforts to get this blog moving. You have got followers already. And Hashim Mustafa's words are soothing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of you have nothing to worry about. You continue on contributing because that's the idea of creating a blog, i.e, to disseminate whatever info you have irrespective whether they will be read by anybody or will remain unread in Blog. We can't force people to read. We can't force people to write either as what Hashim Mustafa said. Go on and I'm sure at the end of the day, people will flock in to read whatever you contribute just to look for something for themselves. There are those who walk the talk and there are those who talk the walk. You know what I men. I for myself will follow the developement of this blog. Luv u both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some really soothing words from anonymous, Hashim, Mikuman and my lovely FY. Thank you very very much from AAB to you all. Insya Allah i'll go on writing. Such is the world kan. Ado yang pro mestilah ado yang con eh kan. Ok the wonderful words are magic to me indeed. I am yet thinking of writing another episode of my experience. InsyaAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an about turn for some of the commentators, like Mikuman, Basikal Tuo and some others. I am a little pessimistic when it comes to blog's survival. I agree with Faithfully Yours and Hashim mustafa's soothing words but at the same time we must understand the perseverance and the courage plus the strength to sustain and maintain this arduous task of placing this blog in check. Have AAB and AFY the stamina to go on writing? Have AAB and AFY got the capacity to write anything other their own personal experience. I doubt it very much. From my observation many bloggers have quit the cyber world. I can mention a few who were once active bloggers. For instance a blogger by the name of Anak Omak, supposedly from Rembau has left the scene. Another "Cahaya Andang" has not been active for a year now."Malaysia Uncut" has also left, possibly for good. Even blogger by the name of Nagari Nan Tuo has not performed lately. My favourite blogger Zulkifli Noordin from Kulim seems to have left the scene witout a trace. My question is for how long will you, particularly AAB stay sustainable? Unless you widen your scope and horizon, you can't prevail. So, buck-up AAB and AFY, you have so many things to think and share. As for myself, I'm not a writer nor an author. I like to write comments, say what I want to say and leave it to you folks to judge. Well! There's always the two sides of a coin. The choice is yours to make. And to show espirit de corps, especially among the ALumni TBSST members I'll try to pump in original constructive comments to every posting that I am interested ini. Take it at face value.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Mikuman is contributing something to this blog. That's news. Of all the people we anticipate contribution, it's Mikuman who is coming to the rescue. Unbelievable! The moment the story is published I shall be the first to congratulate him. He says he is currently out of town.But where? If he is really interested to write he can do it anywhere even in Timbaktu. I'm sure you will carry along your IPad or whatever you have. Handy and easy. You don't have to be back in town to write a story. Hey, Mikuman, how about a story based on Emergency and the town of Miku itself. I heard from many people in Chengkau Miku was once a place where we could get the best of durians in the district. i have heard stories too that every new Undang and his entourage before his isntallation has to pay homage to the Yang Dipertuan Besar at Seri Menanti by going through this passage , crossing the Titiwangsa Range all the way to the palace by foot. This would be an interesting story to share with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very, very much sympathiser for your constructive comments. insyaAllah you just pray for the good health of AAB, and he would go on writing. Only thing is that u might be bored to death, reading his post later. They might kill ur interest to go on reading. As for AFY, you know his first love is writing. If you have been following his contibutions in a number of publications, you'll know what I mean. He's a very widely read person. He's a man of multi interest too. All we need is to pray for his good health and to wish him well in every thing taht he does, shall we. Thanks to u all lovely and wonderful commentors. May Allah bless you all. aab.

    ReplyDelete